Guitar Lessons for Kids in Leeds with Chris Morton
Most kids see guitar practice as “more homework”. Learning guitar can be an uphill struggle, especially in the beginning.
I don’t think it needs to be difficult. It can be easy, in fact, if you approach it in the right way. With my programme, children are playing music from day one – but more importantly, kids love coming to lessons! So what makes my lessons different?
The problem with traditional guitar lessons
Traditionally, guitar lessons are taught like this: The student learns the basic techniques or parts of a song, and is expected to practise over the week. If for whatever reason the student didn’t understand a concept, or didn’t have a full grasp of the song during the lesson, it’s likely that they won’t feel confident picking the guitar up at home.
The practice problem
As the next lesson approaches, children might feel stressed at the thought of embarrassment, try to cram in a longer practice session before the lesson, only to have forgotten most of what was learned. The next guitar lesson turns into an observed practice session, going over the same old song again.
Now, I’m not saying this approach is always wrong, or teachers who use this approach aren’t good teachers. As a matter of fact, this is pretty much the way I was taught, and I used this ‘traditional’ approach for my own teaching, too! But it can contribute to a problem – the practice problem. Practice feels like homework, and lessons can feel like a test.
So how do you get around the practice problem and get kids into guitar?
My guitar programme is different. After 6 years of trying, I’ve found a better way to teach:
- My kids programme is designed to be just enough of a challenge. When a child can finish learning their music during their weekly lesson, they go home feeling confident and energised, instead of lost and overwhelmed.
- My programme includes modern songs, rock classics, and themes from TV & film. When children get to choose their favourite music to play, they get real enjoyment from the guitar.
- Instead of spoon feeding or correcting every small mistake, I show students how to practice independently, and jump in to offer help when necessary. When children can see how practice works, they are much more likely to pick up the guitar.
- Rather than teaching from a book, I use interactive technology. This means practice feels like a game. Children fully engage with practice and have loads of fun!
- By praising effort, rather than ability, children are more likely to develop a growth mindset. “I can’t do this” becomes “I can’t do this, yet”.
My unique Accelerator Guitar programme for children ticks off all five, and I’d love for you to try it.
Would you like more information about my guitar lessons? Or a free introductory lesson? Click the button below.
Try a lesson for free
“My daughter had guitar lessons at school for over two years and could only play one song so I though a fresh approach might just be required. My daughter has now been taught by Chris for the last year and is now confident enough to play in a band and also writes her own songs, an amazing turnaround.”
– Selina Cleasby, Parent, Leeds
Free Introductory Lesson
Try a lesson before you join!
I’m Chris Morton, and I’ve been teaching kids guitar lessons in Leeds for 6 years. I help beginners play the music they love, while building their skills. With school teaching experience and a unique teaching approach, I’m well-equipped to teach children aged 7 and up.
When I’m not teaching, I play guitar with Team Picture, a Leeds-based band. We’ve toured the UK, and our music has been played on BBC Radio 6 music, Radio 1, BT Sport, and a Netflix series. I’ve also done TV work on acoustic guitar for an ITV series, which aired in 2019.
What ages can join kids guitar lessons?
I teach Children Age 7 and up. I also have teenage students on this programme.
Do you teach Electric or Acoustic Guitar?
I teach both, although I don’t teach “Classical” guitar. My lessons are more geared towards Acoustic, Rock & Pop styles.
What is Accelerator Guitar?
It’s my unique self-paced program for children (age 7+) & teens at beginner to Grade 3 level. It’s the most effective, engaging way for kids to learn guitar (in my opinion, of course).
What credentials do you have?
- 6 years full-time teaching experience
- 19 years experience on guitar
- BA (Hons) Popular Music Studies Degree
- RGT Grade 8 Electric Guitar
- ABRSM Grade 5 Music Theory
Is the first guitar lesson free?
The first trial lesson is free. No strings attached. No commitment required. I want you to be happy before you hand over any money.
What about safeguarding?
I have a full, enhanced DBS check. I’m also certified with a course in Child protection in Education (Music).
My Students Get Results
Here are a few recent messages from parents whose children passed exams. I don’t see exams as compulsory or essential. My approach is to have students learn the songs from the syllabus first, then introduce the idea of taking the grade only when they are confident in their playing & motivated to practise.
Now Enrolling for Winter/Spring 2021
Free Trial Lesson